Dublin City Council has announced a four-week extension to a traffic-free streets initiative on two streets in inner city Dublin. Earlier a number of business owners and politicians called for the scheme on Capel Street and Parliament Street to be extended and made permanent after a tweet by Dublin City Council yesterday that the pedestrianisation of the two streets was due to end this weekend.
The two streets have been closed to traffic on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings after 6.30pm for the last 11 weeks in order to facilitate outdoor dining.
In a statement this evening, Dublin City Council said the initiative will now conclude on Sunday 26 September.
Earlier the owner of Panti Bar, Rory O'Neill, said the vast majority of businesses and residents on the street want the scheme to continue and said it had been absolutely wonderful for the area.
He said that he thought that the initiative should continue indefinitely for as long as it takes to put in a permanent plan.